Updated May 16, 2012Memorial Day Weekend is the offical kick-off to Summer and a great day to remember our Veterans, military heros, and our loved ones. Head to one of these great events this holiday weekend and enjoy Memorial Day to the Fullest.
Events at the National WWI Museum
- May 27-28th:
Vintage Military Vehicle Display
The Military Preservation Society displays vintage military vehicles on the southeast lawn.
- Memorial Day Observance Ceremony - Monday, May 28th Events begin at 9:30am and includes a parade of color guards from local military, ROTC, and Boy Scouts organizations. The event lasts about an hour and is held on the south lawn closest to the Memorial.
- The WWI Museum, which is closed on Monday's, will be open from from 11am- 5 pm Please note: Regular admission fees will be charged during Memorial Day. Free parking will be available at the Hallmark parking lots off of Grand & 27th Street.
- Celebration at Union Station , May 27th
This FREE outdoor concert marches to the tune of our patriotic favorites and is directed by the Kansas City Symphony's Michael Stern. Don't miss the finale--with live cannons and one of the biggest fireworks displays in Kansas City Grounds open at 3:00PM for this free community event. At 4:30PM, pre-concert entertainment begins with the United States Air Force Brass in Blue. The Symphony takes the stage at 7:30PM for a rousing set of orchestral music to celebrate all things American. At 9:15 Fireworks display over the National WWI Museum at Liberty Memorial. .
- Visit the Vietnam Veterans Fountain and Memorial, 43rd and Broadway.
- 2012 Memorial Day Flag Event, Historic Elmwood Cemetery, 4900 Truman Road
- Amy Thompson Run to Daylight, May 28th, Loose Park.
- Jiggle Jam 2012 , this family friendly event is held at Crown Center on Saturday and Sunday.
- Sporting KC takes on San Jose, May 27th.
- Abdallah Shrine Rodeo Leavenworth County Fairgrounds, May 24th-26th.