When it's hot as blazes in Kansas City and there's no rain in sight--time to take a dip in one of the fabuloso pools in the metro. We get bored at the rinky dink neighborhood pool down the street, so why not head to one of these pools--equipped with all the bells and whistles like slides, splash parks and a whole lot of fun.
The biggest and best water park is bar far Oceans of Fun, making the Kansas City's Guides Top Spot to cool off in the summer time. Oceans of Fun houses over 13 thrill rides, family water rides, slides and even water activities for little ones.
- Where: Just off the East loop of I-435 at Exit 54 in Kansas City, Missouri.
- When: Daily from Memorial Day to August, and weekends through mid September. Hours of operation vary, so check our Oceans of Fun profile for links to further information.
Schlitterbahn had a slow start when introduced to the Kansas City Metro, but has all their attractions open and even added their Boggie Bahn, Cyclone ride, Whirlwind rides in 2012. You may also rent a private cabana and take a picnic in the park. There are a variety of ticket prices options that range from all day to two day passes and more.
The 21+ rooftop pool made its debut in the Power and Light District in the summer of 2009, and has been filled with sun seekers and party-goers ever since. The Jones promises to be the place to be this summer. The P&L coined 'ultra pool' will house 12 private cabanas, full cocktail service, swim up bar, as well as a daily DJ and concierge service.
Adventure Oasis is a great place for cooling off and beating those warm KC summer days. They've got a lazy tubing river, slides, children's splash and spray ground as well as a lap pool.
- Where: 2100 Hub Drive (Just off 23rd Street, just west of the Rte. 291 intersection), Independence.
- Hours: Mondays - Fridays Noon - 8 p.m. Saturdays, Sundays 11a.m. - 8 p.m. Holidays 11a.m. - 6 p.m.
Super Splash USA is one of the best kept secrets around. Billed as the 'The Finest Little Water Park in America,'' Super Splash has three pools, three water slides, various play areas, ample shade and pleanty of places to hang out. They've even got the Rocky Mountain Avalanche, a 3 person raft tube ride which looks kinda scary..
- Where: 53rd Place & Raytown Road in Raytown.
- Hours: Hours of Opertation vary, check website for details.
Cost: Adults 38"+ $9; 37" and under, Free; Seniors, $5.25
The newest addition to the Kansas City waterpark scene, Tiffany Springs Aquatic Park opened in the Spring of 2006. This huge park not only has a olympic size swimming pool, sprayground and splash park for little ones but a huge lazy river, waterslides and a vector pool to boot.
- Where: 9400 N.W. Congress in Tiffany Hills Park, behind Tiffany Springs Honda
- Hours: Monday through Saturday, noon until 8 pm; Sunday, 1-8 pm
- Prices: Kids $5; Adults, $8; Seniors, $6. Group discounts also available.
OP's largest aquatic facility--Tomahawk Ridge has slides, small water slides, zero depth entry pools, fountains and shade structures for all to enjoy. The facility also offers a picnic shelter to rent which is handy for birthdays and events.
- Where: 11950 Lowell, Overland Park
- Hours: Pool hours are noon to 8 p.m. each day unless otherwise posted at the facility.
- Prices: Daily admission is $5, OP residents receive a $1 discount.
The fave Aquatic Center of those in Leawood, the LAC has a huge main pool, zero depth entry pool, slide and the best baby pool in the metro (according to my Leawood sources).
- Where: 10601 Lee Blvd, Shawnee Mission
The Olathe Parks and Rec Department boasts 4 pools which are all basically the same--making them #8 on the list of KC's Best Pools. Pick the one nearest you and go!
- Black Bob Pool: 14500 W. 151st Street (in Black Bob Park)
- Mill Creek Park Pool: Mill Creek Park Pool, 320 E. Poplar (in Mill Creek Park)
- Frontier Pool: 15909 W. 127th St.
- Oregon Trail Pool: 1800 W. Dennis
Ok, it's not EXACTLY a swimming pool--but the KCMO Spraygrounds are a great place for all to cool off and beat the heat. Newly constructed and opening in the Spring of 2006, the Spraygrounds are fun for young and old alike.
- Douglas Park: 2632 Jarboe St.
- Harmony Park: 10th Street and Agnes
- Longview: 7101 Longview Road
- Loose: 52nd Terrace and Summit
- Parade: The Paseo and Truman Road
- Sunnyside: 8255 Summit