The Bottom Line
- Seving up some of the greatest martinis in town.
- Huge patio is perfect place to hang out in warm weather.
- Food is served late for late night munchies.
- Drinks go down so smooth, you might lose count.
- Don't wear shorts and a t-shirt.....
- Location:400 E. 31st St., Kansas City, MO 816.753.9990
- Hours: Monday-Friday 4pm-3am and Sunday 6pm-3am
- Happy Hour: Monday-Friday 4-7pm
- Wear Haus: Showcases Kansas City's Most Talented Designers, Thursday 5-9pm.
Guide Review - Velvet Dog
The Dog, as the regulars call it, is easy to find its perched within an eye shot of the KCMO Eiffel tower on 31st Street. This nighttime spot with its sophistication, cool and chic red walls is the place where the hip urban crowd and young professionals collide over an expertly shaken concoction of cocktails. With 17 martinis to choose from-including the signature Chocolate Martini, the delicious Chambord, and the French Silk made with Guinness and Baileysat $7 a pop, you might find yourself losing count on just how many youve had.
The Velvet Dog also has sophisticated bar food at its finest-think hummus, artichoke fritters, pizzas and sandwiches which are all served until about 2am. With pool tables and an upstairs lounge there are plenty of places to stake outalthough the later it gets, the more youll find yourself squeezing around your chic counterparts. If the inside crowd grows a little too close, head outside for a round of bocce ball on their one-of-a-kind patio, or just sit back and make friends at one of the many tables over a yummie cocktail or two.
If you grow tired of sanding still and want to shake it, head across the street to the owners other bar, The Empire Room to get your dance fix.