The Bottom Line
- One of the oldest and most famous BBQ spots in Kansas City.
- Savory sauce and huge portions.
- Three great locations around town.
- Original location isn't in the greatest neighborhood.
- Locations: 1727 Brooklyn Ave, 1702 Village West Parkway (KCK), 3200 Ameristar Drive (Ameristar)
- Order Carry Out: 816.231.1123 (Downtown), 913.788.7500 (KCK), and 816.414.7474 (Ameristar)
- Hours: Open Monday-Saturday 10am-10pm, Sunday 10am-8pm
Guide Review - Arthur Bryant's Barbeque Restaurant
With everyone from Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton, to Robert Redford and your common Kansas Citian stopping in to enjoy the savory que, Cowtown is proud to call Arthur Bryants one of their own. This barbeque is so tasty that Playboy columnist Calvin Trillin coined Bryants as the Best Restaurant in the World, and it quite possibly is.
Bryants barbeque hasnt changed much since he perfected his renowned sauce in the 1930smillions have enjoyed the massive portions that are slow-smoked with a combination of hickory and oak woods. Then they splash the meat of your choosing with Bryants Original or their Rich & Spicy sauces. Having a hard time deciding which one? You pretty much cant go wrong either way, Bryants is truly barbeque perfection.
Although the menu is no-frills, the barbeque is anything but. The Pork Sandwich ($7.65, $9.00) is a crowd favorite, with a heaping portion of meat and ample sauceand if you want extra, there is a handy supply right on the table. Order with fries and you will have enough to take home with you. The combo is a nice choice for those of us who cant choose just one ($8.75, $10.10), be sure and try the burnt ends and short ribs. They are Bryants must-haves. If ribs are what you are cravingthe whole slab of pork ribs ($16.95) are melt in your mouth delicious. Bryants also offers an array of sides, including baked beans and slaw, but they serve such massive amounts of barbeque, I dont think many ever make it that far.